Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring Break (the Steffen's) Day 7

Last night we moved to the incredible home of Jamie and Jenny Walker, Casa Carolina, to spend our last few days of Spring Break.  We were up early this morning and headed South of Dominical to spend a day at Playa Arco.  We parked the car by the highway and trekked through the jungle to the beach.  After exploring the cave or Arch that defines this beach area, everyone hit the surf. Everyone but me, that is.  I took off and was determined to find another path back to the road.  Once I had located it and made my way to the top of the hill, I started back down and was greeted by a couple from Germany.  They were staying at a small Hotel near-by and we had a pleasant chat about the wonders of Costa Rica.

I wound my way back down the path and took note of several different species of butterflies that were active, some lizards, birds and one little snake.  I have been told there are more species of butterflies in this small country than on the entire Continent of Africa.  Luckily I found the beach again by going downhill and listening for the surf.  I knew where the natural spring that has a built in "shower" is located and made a bee-line for it to cool off after my hike.

We played in the surf and figured out how to send Ian flying towards shore on the boogie board we had brought with us.  We all "showered" the salt water off and then hiked up the hill to see the huge stands of Bamboo that mark the entrance to the trail.  Again we saw many butterflies as we worked our way back to the car.  We stopped at a small Hotel, Cuna del Angel, (Crib of the Angel) and had the most delicious lunch.  I would drive there again just for the food.

The group from Wyoming went off-shore.  The report was one sailfish and two Mahi-Mahi. Willy said they told him that they were very impressed with the boat and the crew and were looking forward to tomorrow.  I'll try to give the updates as they come in.

Kerwin 

No comments:

Post a Comment